Picture

I got up early today and started in the trunk. It was a lot harder working in the cramped space, and there were a lot more edges, but another 6 hours down and it’s done. You can see what a mess the spray adhesive makes. It comes out like a thin line of silly-string.

Picture Picture
Picture Picture

Another problem: the leaky roof has corroded both of the powered seat connectors. I’ll have to order the parts to re-pin this guy and its likeness on the passenger side.

Picture Picture

Finally on to the doors. I didn’t take a lot of pictures of this part, but the door has a giant cavity that’s covered by a thin piece of plastic (which of course disintegrated during removal.) It turns out the cavity is used as a resonating chamber for the speakers/subs, so I wanted to retain the rigidity of the covering, but eliminate some of the higher frequency vibrations of road noise.

Picture

I layered strips of some low elasticity foam insulation from Lowes held securely together with more foil tape (I’m on roll 4 of this stuff,) followed by a layer of ensolite. Finally, I covered the whole thing in foil tape to make sure it all holds together well. The resultant cover turned out really rigid. You can play it like a drum, and it has a really low note to it.

Picture