Home from Christmas. I’ve set the printer up in my office on top of a TV stand that I’ve had since I was a kid. It’s not ideal (the size is right, but one of the corners curls up about 1.5” at the tip making the frame of the printer try and twist itself out of perpendicular.) I immediately put a bunch of stuff on order:
- Borosilicate Glass Plate
- Silicon Thermal Pad (after messing with this, I wound up just taping the glass straight to the bed)
- Industrial Grade Acetone (for cleaning the build plate or smoothing ABS)
- Super Lube! (for rails and bearings)
- Long Hex M3 Bolts
- A bunch of M3 Locknuts
- Rubber feet (for eventual leveling)
- Monoprice Clear PLA
The PLA arrived shortly after the glass, and I couldn’t wait to try and print out a DnD mini courtesy of mz4250
After a lot of work getting things level and calibrated, it appeared to be going down great! Unfortunately, I forgot to enable supports in Cura, so the swords wound up looking like melting icicles. It’s been a great stand-in piece for our campaign; I call it the Wet Bandit. The rest of the detail turned out great, although it doesn’t show up well with the semi-opaque white this filament prints in. It also feels super sturdy (10% infill.)
With that out of the way, I devoted the next 34 hours (there’s definitely room for improvement in the speed department) to printing out the parts for the Z-Brace Mod. With these installed, the frame is now rock solid. I had a heck of a time getting the bed back level, however. Eventually I got fed up, applied some stick glue to the glass as a band-aid, and started printing out a Dii Cooler. I’m super impressed with how the bridging turned out.
It turned out really good, aside from some small divots on the top. I had the shell set to concentric which looked really cool on the bottom, but caused the aforementioned blemishes on the top layer.
Finally, I printed out this Dial Indicator Mount that press-fits onto the x-axis stepper motor. Printed at 100% infill so there’s no give; man this thing is strong! The edges are almost sharp enough to cut you.
I’ve moved it to this somewhat unstable table for now, since the top of the media cabinet was so warped. Hopefully the stone top will help if it were to catch fire as well.